Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend Warriors

Happy Monday all!  Hope y'all had a fabulous weekend- I certainly did.  My college bestie was in town from Cali and we concocted our own Mid-Atlantic mania, including an overnighter in Shenandoah National Park and, one of my favorite guest go-to-activities, a tour of some sweet southern Virginia wineries.  The 'ol Commonwealth makes for a nice summer weekend- all in all some great times outside the city!

Most importantly, we devised an alternative retirement track, which centers around a joint venture franchising a "Ye Olde Clean'ry" in a mutually agreed-upon location where we'll continue the legacy of the infamous (well, infamous to us) downtown Philadelphia spot.  I stumbled across this gem while I was working as a summer associate in Philly during my last summer in law school.  Not only does this dry cleaner's interior resemble a medieval castle (including staff uniforms), but they offer the best screaming deal I've ever encountered:  10% off your dry-cleaning on your birthday with proof of proper identification.  I was lucky enough to claim the prize and saved approximately $1.78 in 2006!  They never did get that red wine stain out of my suit jacket but that's neither here nor there.

Anywho, I'm busy as a bee at work this week.  The President has created a task force - including tons of folks from different agencies - to write him a big *ss report on clean coal.  I'm one of the lawyers who's been working away at the liability section and this morning we discovered that those sorry crackers over at EPA have relegated our entire contribution into an appendix.  I could actually care less about where our section is (or isn't for that matter), but all of talking heads around here are beside themselves and are currently spinning their wheels on just how to move their pawn in this power struggle.  *yawn*  Can you tell these places are run by a bunch of dudes or what?!  Oh, and did you think there were only three branches of government?  Try 12.  Now for you folks at home, that's (1) Congress; (2) The Supreme Court; and (3)-(12) are the President and all of his infighting appointees, which are sometimes referred to collectively as the "Executive Branch."

Starting Monday off right with a civics lesson for my darling readers. :)

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Thank GOD you saved that $1.78....it totally made up for the ruined $80 (or more, gulp) blazer!

    Wow, girl...I don't think I'd considered the powers that be in such a break down since 9th grade, which was indeed my civics class....which fyi is no longer a graduation requirement. No wonder our children know nothing about politics, nor do they care. Le sigh.

    PS. I have more to add, but I think I'll email it to you, for risk of being banned from the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete