Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Working for the weekend

Is exactly what I'm doing y'all. I went from 8 years of post-secondary academia into an intense two years at a law firm, then to the federal government, which I'm now convinced is where lawyers go to DIE (note to self: do not expand blog readership to people I work with). I am so thankful to have a job and more than grateful to be able to pay the bills. But so help me God if I have to be part of one more "focus group" devoting three days of my job to what will result in a 20-minute power point presentation, I'm liable to take off my heels and throw them under my desk with the rest of my heels and walk out the door (another note to self: don't leak to my podiatrist I'm wearing heels).

Here's an example of some of this week's correspondence (via email):

(I'll finish an important document and in a month or so (!) I want to bring to my boss's attention again because I'm almost certain he's forgotten to review it, so I forward it his way)

Me: Please let me know if you'd like to talk about this today.

Boss: Can you get me a hard copy?

Me: You mean print this out and bring it to you?

Boss: Nevermind- thanks.

(What I really wanted to say: press print jackass! Isn't it enough that I'm combing through your workload and making sure you don't let this slip through the cracks?) At least he's finally getting the hint that I'm not going to be his personal printer.

It's one thing to work at a private firm. When I was there, my boss owned my life and soul. If he wanted me to stay at work overnight just to print out copies of his personal memoirs, I would've done it with a smile and asked him if there was anything else I could do while I was at it. But he wouldn't have done that because he valued my time and knew how flippin' expensive it was. But there are no hourly rates in the government. Too bad, because it would be a real hoot to see what people would turn in on their billing sheets. Particularly some of my colleagues who disappear for two hours and return looking windblown with the sports section folded under their arm.

Sorry for the negativity and I promise to be more positive next time! xo

1 comment:

  1. I think it's male bosses, seriously. My old boss at my lab was the same way about finishing up projects that I HAD finished already and therefore only required his lovely signature, etc.

    Funny too, he would ask for print outs and then be confused as to why you brought them "Don't I have this on my email?" YES! and you never freaking read it! haha. MEN!

    Email response in the works, soul sista!

    ReplyDelete