Saturday, April 17, 2010

Life and wine and podcasts

My dearest readers please accept my heartfelt apologies for what has been a most legitimate lack of all things blithe and lighthearted. I am slowly emerging from an introspective retreat and it has not been without pining for some light blogging that I have been embracing my inner introvert. No elaboration would be appropriate for such a place of cheer and charm so I'm up for some lighter discussion if you'd be so kind to oblige.

In my journey back to equilibrium, I have enjoyed a number of things during this weekend of solitude, the first being (albeit at least 5 years late) podcasts. A podcast is a series of digital media files (either audio or video) that are released episodically and can be downloaded on (among other things) an Ipod via Itunes. They are usually 25-60 minute episodes of news clips, short fiction reads, NPR programs, etc. And best of all: they are FREE. I was overwhelmed when I realized what is available! Meet the Press with David Gregory is one program I've really missed since cancelling my cable package, but I can listen to it for free on my Ipod (or better yet, watch it on my computer). But by far my favorite:



Because I essentially walk EVERYWHERE, instead of contemplating whether tomorrow's weather will be too humid to straighten my hair, which class I should take in the morning at the gym, or other trivial nonsense, during my "commutes" I can now plug in my headphones and hear episodes of trivial historical information! I am obsessed and within 24 hours I have already learned the truth behind the Rosetta Stone, the minutia of Elizabeth I's love life (or lack thereof), analysis of new evidence linked to the Kent State protests during the Nixon administration, and Marie Antoinette myth-busters. My God. If you didn't want to get cornered by me at a dinner party before I discovered this gem, then for pete's sake HIDE YOUR CHILDREN.

Second is a shout-out to Troy's power yoga class. I don't mean to brag, but I am in shape y'all (by my own standards- very relative obvi). I exercise like an absolute maniac week-round. And it never fails- Troy's power yoga class (or even Mimi's or Ursula's, but particularly Troy's) leaves me in pain for at least 2 days subsequent. It consists of an hour of sun salutations at light speed (which, for all of you non-yogis out there, is a sequence which begins standing, takes you through a number of challenging lunges, down to the ground via chaturanga, upward dog and downward dog, which is essentially a triceps pushup into a other unnatural positions requiring strength and control- see illustration below). This stuff isn't easy slow, so doing an hour of it quickly is incredibly challenging and oh so good for the soul! I could quit my job and be some sort of a ninja if I took Troy's class every day.

Last but not least, I took one of the wineducation classes I mentioned a while back! My fabulous sister and I were tipsy after about 3 tastings (which equates to roughly one glass of wine- two chips off the 'ol block) and not only learned about sipping and swirling, but nearly blew a gasket trying not to get kicked out of such a tasteful event as we were laughing hysterically while making fun of each other.

So all in all a much-needed weekend of various indulgences, and it's not over yet! Continuing with another glass of wine as I read and listen to delightful jams and otherwise entertain myself. Happy Saturday all!

1 comment:

  1. yay! Sounds perfect!

    PS. Have you ever tried Bikram Yoga? It's intense and amazing.

    ReplyDelete