Monday, March 22, 2010

(Running) Party in the USA

I can't resist a quick post of shameless bragging: I ran the NYC Half Marathon this weekend and managed to beat my personal half-marathon best by 12 minutes (a lifetime in running terms) AND I was only 29 seconds away from breaking a 2-hour half marathon.

I've always viewed the sub-2-hour half marathon as the cross-over from "liking to run" into being a "runner." I've run tons of races, including a full marathon, but still hesitate to refer to myself as a "runner" for a number of reasons, including the fact that it's something I picked up much later in life (grad-school-ish), along with my slow timing compared to objective running standards (let's just say I'm not qualifying for Boston anytime soon...).

So I started this race just hoping to finish without any pesky knee issues- I'm just thrilled to be running again after taking off two very long months, during which I spent a small fortune visiting a sports chiropractor biweekly (whose office is in the suburbs, no less...GAG). I wasn't expecting to break my last half-marathon time; after all, I ran that one while training for the Chicago marathon and I had been running TONS in the months prior. Moreover, the first 6 miles of the NYC Half are a loop through Central Park (the hills within are infamous among runners for some brutal training grounds). So at this point I'm happy to be in the club- lining up to run a race and thrilled to be back in the land of racing! I'll keep an eye on my gps running watch ("Antoine") and make sure I'm pacing myself at a generous 9:30-10:00 minute mile throughout, and I should finish in under 2.5 hours no problem. Sweet.

First two miles I did just that. But the adrenaline of racing combined with my intimate familiarity of the Central Park loop (I run it all the time when I'm up there) translated into a boost of confidence. So I pick up the pace and realize about halfway: I just might be able to finish this in under two hours. We exited the park and I sprinted for a good 2 miles to make up for my slow start- one mile I even logged in at 7:40 (now that's scootin' for a distance race). Heartbreaking 29 seconds short of the goal I set for myself mid-race, which makes me realize that (1) had this been an easier course; and (2) had I started with the right pace...I could've pulled it off.

It's Monday's lunch break and I'm still on a runner's high. Giving my knees a hard-earned break and devoting this week to yoga and pilates. I have another half on the calendar in May and I can't wait to challenge myself to beat...myself.

For those of you who haven't raced before, below is the live coverage of yesterday's NYC Half Marathon. If you can, watch the first few minutes and you can see the elite runners, the line-up, and the course. The energy is indescribable at these large races and I wish everyone could experience it just once!

http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=74bfbe33-2724-4a64-8ddc-790d4cd994b4.html#2010+nyc+half+marathon

2 comments:

  1. you are so awesome. i still hate you though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock. Seriously. And please....get that shirt emblazoned with "runner"....or better yet, tattoo it on your forehead! You. Are. A. Runner!

    ReplyDelete