Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Marathoning

And just like that, I finished my second full marathon y'all.  The 35th Marine Corps Marathon, held on Halloween 2010.  'Twas a lovely day in the District and Biscuit and I scooted our old hineys* past the finish line almost 15 minutes faster than we did last year, which was an amazing feat considering (1) we were both severely under-trained; and (2) we literally walked the last 7 miles.  Makes me wonder what in the shiz I was doing last year.  (*A highlight during the run occurred when Biscuit asked me how I was feeling at approximately mile 14, to which I responded "my old knees are hanging in there."  This comment caught the attention of a little old man running behind us, and injected him with enough energy to pass us quickly and tell us we were, in fact, NOT old and he didn't appreciate the comment.  Sheesh!)

Here's a picture of my very own cheering section (who were holding a sign that read "Bless all y'all"):


In related news, my podcast this morning retold the story of the very first marathon, which originated as the legend of Pheidippides, a Greek messenger. The legend states that he was sent from the battlefield of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been defeated in the Battle of Marathon (in which he had just fought), which took place in August or September, 490 BC.  It is said that he ran the entire distance without stopping and burst into the assembly, exclaiming "Νενικήκαμεν" (Nenikékamen, 'We have won.') before collapsing and dying.  I feel 'ya, Pheidippides 'ol sport!  So do three of my toenails who similarly collapsed and died upon crossing the finish line.  RIP all. 

Last related marathon note, CNN is reporting this morning that a Chilean miner is planning on competing in this weekend's NYC Marathon less than one month after being rescued.  I'd say that if Biscuit and I can do it, anyone can, but this guy is just flat out asking for an intimate rendez-vous with a mid-course medical tent.

Happy Tuesday, darlings!  Enjoy the brisk weather and reward yourselves with some low fat eggnog- it's now on sale in Safeway and you know I'll enjoy a glass while I put up my Christmas decorations this weekend!  (Fair game after Halloween folks.)

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment