Tuesday, February 23, 2010

T-totaling

As most of you probably know, Ash Wednesday, observed this year on February 17, marked the beginning of Lent. In the Christian tradition, Lent is the 40-day period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. The forty days represent the time in the Bible that Jesus spent in the desert where he endured temptation by Satan. These 40 days are traditionally marked by fasting, both from foods and festivities, and by other acts of penance. In the United States, this has evolved into people often giving up a vice or adding something to bring them closer to God for 40 days.

Growing up a Southern Baptist, to my recollection there wasn't nearly as much of a focus on Lent and Easter as there was on the Christmas season. I converted to Catholicism in college and quickly realized how Easter almost outdoes Christmas in terms of celebration, tradition and faith (quick tip: ladies if you're Catholic and looking to make an honest man out of your significant other, plan on getting hitched the weekend after Easter because the church is already dripping in gorgeous, expensive flowers and you'd save a real load of cash). After all, Easter marks the day of Christ's resurrection, which is the foundational event of Christianity; it certainly makes sense. Now that Easter is more of a focus, so is Lent.

So after bringing you a religious history lesson, I'm here to declare what I'm "giving up for Lent" (in addition to not eating meat on Fridays...not a real sacrifice here):

BOOZE.

Now for many people, this wouldn't be hard. My boyfriend, for example, is usually looking for a way OUT of partaking in adult libations (and he grew up in Ireland!). But I am convinced that no good meal is complete without a thoughtful wine pairing and Saturday night doesn't start without a splash of champagne to open up the palette (and I grew up a Southern Baptist!).

Day 7 and the alcohol-free lifestyle does have its benefits- I almost beat my personal best in a race in Central Park on Saturday, and this certainly can't hurt my indefinite goals of sensational weight loss. Not to mention, many times I'm not interested in drinking for the sake of drinking (book clubs, birthday parties, nights out, etc.) but don't want to be a party-pooper, so I settle for the headache at work the following day (you go big or go home in my book club). I do miss the glass of red at home after the gym, but this is turning out to be a telling experiment on when I really should be a more conscientious decliner...

That being said I have already decided which bottle will be my first on day 40. Chateau Villars, Fronsac 2004. But who's counting?

No comments:

Post a Comment