Thursday, February 18, 2010

Big screen survival tips

For the past two days I have been attending a conference for work. I won't bore with details as the following observations/comments apply to any conference or talk in which a person, or persons, are talking on stage and their image is simultaneously cast on a large screen(s) in order to make them visible to people in the back of the hotel ballroom. I prefer this setup for a 2+ day conference as it gives me more places to look, and multiple places to and from which I can dart my eyeballs and compare images while I should be paying attention to the keynote speaker. However, were I to be invited to speak at one of these events (highly unlikely as I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert on anything aside from perhaps knowing a little about a lot of things which, in itself, contradicts the word "expert"), I would absolutely refuse to allow my image to be projected on a large screen due to the following observations from the last 72 hours:

1. The camera does indeed add 10 pounds. This problem is only exacerbated when your image is the size of an entire ballroom wall.
2. A middle-aged Asian man may very well look like Michael Jackson on the big screen.
3. If you have a clown haircut, you not only look like a clown in real life, but also larger-than-life.
(To the right is an example of a clown haircut. Usually an older man who is bald on top but has large, frizzy, curly hair around the sides. In short, he looks like a clown.)

No comments:

Post a Comment