Friday, February 19, 2010

The cheese strands alone

So I was well on my way to preparing a quick post about tonight's new discovery: The Strand Bookstore in NYC (http://www.strandbooks.com/); in preparation I visited their website and was immediately greeted (and by greeted I mean peeved) by this picture:


With a caption reading "Did you know that Nora Ephron shot a scene from the movie 'Julie and Julia' at the Strand?" [Please see my very first post if you are unfamiliar with my strong feelings about this movie and any other sorry waste of time starring Amy Adams]
Well did you know that even though most people would consider me a hipster*, I only shop at the GAP? No you didn't, and I shouldn't go around advertising it because it only deflates my street cred.
*Cha right. I haven't left the house without pearls and rouge since I was 14.
Point being- the Strand is one of the, if not the, best bookstores I've ever seen. This is coming from a person who regularly jokes about extending the institution of marriage to include corporations so I can marry Borders. Aisles and aisles of new and used books, all at discount prices. And they have such an extensive selection that they have separated their literature and fiction sections. God in heaven!
Regardless of the fact that their media department could use an injection of prudish judgement, the place is a castle and worth a visit if you're ever in Union Square. Of course most people (and, I'd venture to say, all New Yorkers) already know this, but given that I spent my first quarter century in a rocking chair on the back porch, I'd say I'm catching up at lightning speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment