Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Breaking news

A wise man (or something) asked me a very poignant question yesterday while we were illegally gchatting at work:  is there anything CNN doesn't consider breaking news?!  After sleeping on it, I was frankly at a loss after this morning's typical headline:

NEW JERSEY FAMILY'S PICTURE CATCHES THEFT IN THE MAKING


I mean obviously this is hysterical, but inadvertently catching a pesky, poorly-dressed white dude trying to swipe a briefcase while snapping a pic of your 6 year-old doing the robot is NOT breaking news y'all.  So, Benny, after this morning's corroborating evidence, I'm convinced the answer to your question is a resounding NO.

In other breaking news, and please don't get me started on how this political/media mosque obsession is the ultimate red herring at at time when our leaders have bigger fish to fry to say the least, some family members of 9/11 victims are uniting to support the mosque construction.  (I realize I'm legitimizing the debate and CNN at this point but please keep in mind that I am not holding/running for office and I have been candid about CNN's shortfalls).  Bravo 9/11 victim family members!  Thank you for coming out and saying what our President should have said in the first place!  But he didn't and Michael Bloomberg did, and successfully made him look like a total putz!  Brings back memories of when some 9/11 victim family members testified at the terrorists' trials and stood up against the death penalty.  Talk about people with actual standing to chat about issues (as opposed to, say, Hollywood) taking their platform and using it for the greater good.  Whether you agree or not, I'm proud of these families standing up for what they believe in.  Probably because I agree.  I'm sure there are plenty of examples of me applauding people for standing up for their beliefs when I don't agree, but I can't seem to think of any right now.  And oh, look at the time, I've got to get back to rewriting that Executive Order.  Toodles!  xo

3 comments:

  1. Mom- best comment ever! Especially since you are totally serious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, Love me some Mumsy!

    I totally agree Bec, this story was utterly stupid, and let's not even start in on all the media that Emergency Slide Pulling Air Stewart got! sheesh.

    And you wonder why I'm going to have to resort to the BBC to get new about my own country! (I do have a soft spot for Diane Sawyer though, to be honest.)

    ReplyDelete